Royal Saskatchewan Museum

Royal Saskatchewan Museum: Get to Know with Natural Heritage and Travel to Mezoic Era

Royal Saskatchewan Museum

About Royal Saskatchewan Museum

The Royal Saskatchewan Museum was Canada's first museum and the first provincial museum in the three Prairie Provinces. The Royal Saskatchewan Museum was founded in 1906 as the Provincial Museum of Natural History with the goal of securing and preserving natural history specimens and artefacts of historical and ethnological significance. It now attracts over 1,40,000 visitors each year. Following the visit of Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of Canada, it was renamed the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. The Royal Saskatchewan Museum is actively engaged in fossil excavation in southwestern Saskatchewan, and it also provides a variety of educational programmes, exhibitions, and research activities that highlight Saskatchewan's natural, geologic, and First Nations heritage.

RoyalSaskMuseum Logo.svg
RoyalSaskMuseum Front.jpg
Royal Saskatchewan Museum is located in Saskatchewan

Royal Saskatchewan Museum

Location within Saskatchewan

Former name

Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History
Established 1906
Location 2445 Albert Street Regina, Saskatchewan , Canada
Type Natural history
Collection size 3,500,000
Visitors 139,122 (2017) [1]
Director Peter Menzies
Owner Government of Saskatchewan
Website www .royalsaskmuseum .ca

History

Royal Saskatchewan Museum

The Regina Trading Company Building, the Provincial Legislative Building, and the Normal School were all used by the Museum between 1906 and 1945. (the easternmost historic building on the "College Avenue" campus of the University of Regina ). During WWII, the Museum's collections were removed from public view and stored in the General Motors Building (east on Dewdney Avenue) to allow the Normal School to be used for the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, and then in Pilkington's Glass Company Building when the GM building was also requisitioned. In 1944, the collections were restored to the Normal School and reopened to the public in 1946. As a Saskatchewan Golden Jubilee project, the provincial government started construction of the present museum building on the intersection of Albert Street and College Avenue, on the site of the abandoned Chateau Qu'Appelle Hotel. The museum was constructed on an angle with a wide front lawn, partially for aesthetic reasons and partly to prevent the costly process of uprooting the pilings. Governor General Vincent Massey dedicated the new facilities on May 16, 1955. The museum's name was changed to Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History to reflect the areas of commitment. The Royal Saskatchewan Museum was established in 1993 after receiving royal designation from Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada.

Collections

Over 3.5 million ancient items, 250,000 insects, 37,500 fossils, 10,000 birds, 6,500 plants, 4,000 arachnids, 3,7000 animals, 500 reptiles, and 300 fish are among the museum's collection. This fund promotes research that advances our understanding of Saskatchewan's natural heritage and Indigenous traditions.

Galleries

The Regina Cyclone of 1912 devastated the Museum collection, which was then housed in the Provincial Legislative Building. In 1990, the collection was once again badly harmed when a fire broke out in the First Nations Gallery, which was still under construction at the time. The museum had to shut for four months due to smoke damage. With the construction of the First Nations Gallery, Life Sciences Gallery, purchase of the T.rex Discovery Centre, and restoration of the Earth Sciences Gallery, the museum has experienced considerable rejuvenation since then.

Earth Sciences Gallery

The Earth Science Gallery describes Saskatchewan's fascinating ancient history and geological resources, from how the Earth's formation provided Saskatchewan with rich mineral resources to giant reptiles, dinosaurs, and other extinct creatures that have lived in Saskatchewan over the past two billion years.

First Nations Gallery

This gallery, which opened on June 26, 1993, was the result of a collaboration between academics, Indigenous Elders, students, and people of the community. The exhibit explores the culture, customs, commerce, treaties, and communities of Saskatchewan's Indigenous people over the last 10,000 years via tiny and life-size dioramas.

Life Sciences Gallery

Sixteen life-size dioramas with intricate details The ecoregions and seasons of Saskatchewan are shown. The exhibit, which opened in June 2001, depicts the interconnectedness of many living forms. Visitors may experience what it's like inside a bear's cave, a beaver's lodge, or a snake's hibernaculum as part of a celebration of Saskatchewan's landscapes and biodiversity.

Cn T. Rex Gallery

A life-size cast of Scotty, the world's biggest T. rex, was unveiled on May 17, 2019 at the two-story CN T.rex Section, which is part of the museum's Earth Science gallery. On August 16, 1991, a research team from the Royal Saskatchewan Museum found specimen RSM P2523.8 in Saskatchewan's Frenchman River Valley. It is currently on exhibit in Regina and Eastend. The gallery displays Scotty's injuries throughout its lifespan as well as the flora and animals that coexisted with the T. rex.

T.Rex Discovery Centre

The T.rex Discovery Centre was taken over by the Royal Saskatchewan Museum on February 14, 2013. The Cretaceous Cenozoic Fossil Center in Eastend, Saskatchewan, contains a variety of Cretaceous Cenozoic fossils. The T.rex Discovery Centre was created as a repository for southwest Saskatchewan's fossil record. The Town of Eastend recognised the need for a palaeontological centre after holding a series of public forums to highlight the rich fossil record of the Frenchman River Valley and the Cypress Hills. The T.rex Discovery Centre, located in the Frenchman River Valley, just north of Eastend, first opened its doors in 2001.

Opening Hours

The Royal Saskatchewan Museum is located in Regina, Saskatchewan. 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Every day of the week., The shop was closed on December 25th. Holiday Hours in the Winter 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on December 24 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on December 26 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on December 31 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on January 1st Public Hours at Paleo Pit Open weekends and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. from September to June. Open everyday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in July and August. [On weekdays, groups may rent the Pit; see website for information.] The Royal Saskatchewan Museum will take between 60 and 2 hours to see.

Location and Direction

The Royal Saskatchewan Museum is situated at 2445 Albert Street in Regina, near the intersection of College Avenue and Albert Street. The T.rex Discovery Centre is 400 kilometres from the Museum in Eastend, Saskatchewan. On the east and south sides of the museum, there is free public and bus parking.

Amenities & Accessibility

Using the elevator in the foyer, wheelchair users may access all galleries. In the foyer, there are wheelchair accessible restrooms. The Paleo Pit is not handicap accessible. Wheelchairs and strollers are available for rental at the information desk on a first-come, first-served basis for usage inside the museum. Just off the lobby are a public phone, Interac services, and vending machines. The Museum Store is a place where you may buy items from By buying at the gift store, you may bring memories of your trip home with you. Souvenirs, modern and traditional art created by First Nations and other Saskatchewan artists, and a children's area devoted to fun and discovery are among the distinctive items available. During the Royal Saskatchewan Museum's normal hours of operation, the Museum Shop opens at 10:00 a.m., except on Sundays and holidays, when it opens at 12:00 p.m.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *