Nature is Home: Bloom in Wilderness in Queens Botanical Garden
About Queens Botanical Garden
Queens Botanical Garden is a botanical garden in Flushing, Queens, New York City. It is situated at 43-50 Main Street. Rose, bee, herb, bridal, and perennial gardens, as well as an arboretum, an art gallery, and a LEED-certified Visitor & Administration Building, are all part of the 39-acre (16 hectare) property. The Queens Botanical Garden is situated on city-owned land and is supported by a variety of public and private sources. Queens Botanical Garden Society, Inc. manages it. The Queens Botanical Garden was initially situated in neighbouring Flushing Meadows–Corona Park as part of the 1939 New York World's Fair. In 1963, in preparation for the 1964 New York World's Fair, it was relocated to its present site, a landfilled region east of Flushing Meadows Park.
|Location||Queens , New York|
|Public transit access||Long Island Rail Road :|
The Queens Botanical Garden has continued to grow since then, with programmes geared at the local community. The Queens Botanical Garden Society released a master plan for the garden's restoration in 2001, which focused on the garden's position above the subterranean Kissena Creek. Over the years, many upgrades were made, including the creation of a new ecologically friendly parking lot and administrative building.
During the 1939 New York World's Fair, the gate leading into the Gardens was on parade. What would become the Queens Botanical Garden was a horticultural display of the fair named "Gardens on Parade" sponsored by Hortus, Incorporated, which was hosted in nearby Flushing Meadows–Corona Park in 1939.:102–103 The original gardens were situated just west of the current location, at 131st Street between Lawrence Street and the Flushing River, along the route of the future Van Wyck Expressway, in the northeast corner of the fair grounds. The contemporary Queens Botanical Garden was situated west of Main Street, in the New York City Department of Sanitation garage at Dahlia Avenue. It had been abandoned by the 1950s, and there were demands to destroy it. By March 1957, a playground at Elder Avenue and 135th Street in what is now the Queens Botanical Garden was supposed to be finished. However, just a comfort station and lights had been built by March 11, and the land needed considerable filling before construction could begin. The project was postponed owing to poor weather, according to the Parks Department. After a community petition, the playground site was utilised as a dumping ground and was covered with soil. The playground was finally finished in June 1957, after a three-month delay.
The 1964-1965 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Park brought many changes to the Kissena Corridor, including shifting Queens Botanical Garden eastward. Prior to the 1964–1965 New York World's Fair, Kissena Corridor Park was leased to the World's Fair Corporation.3 The Queens Botanical Garden was planned for a site across College Point Boulevard in 1962 before it instead became part of Flushing Meadows' landscape and left its legacy there at some point after 1965. Board of Estimate approves the Botanical Garden project and other World's Fair projects. The Board approved a new administration building, costing $150,000 to be built in Flushing Meadows Park for use during the fair. Grading work began on March 22nd with an expected completion date set at November 1st 1961 This project included a new administration building, to cost $150,000 and a pedestrian overpass. The site was originally planned to be used as parking space for the fairs but this plan changed when it became apparent that there would not be enough room on the grounds of Flushing Meadows Park in order to accommodate all potential visitors.
This led officials from Queens Borough President’s office (as well as other members of NYC government) create an alternate solution: build up rather than out by creating more land which could then serve both purposes-parking capacity at one end while also providing exhibit booths for World's Fair related events at another area within same vicinity The grading work began March 22nd 1961 with Board approval given April 2nd 1962 In 1961, Palm Beach International Airport opened. The airport was designed to have a steel and glass administration building with landscaping done by Gilmore David Clarke and Michael Rapuano who also designed the original 1939 World's Fair grounds and the 1964 layout for the fair. Elder Avenue that ran southwest across from Main Street to Peck Avenue de-mapped in order integrate it into Corridor Park site on land which had been purchased during 1930s Depression period as part of President Roosevelt’s New Deal program On September 23, 1961 construction began on the gardens of The Illinois Central Station. At that time it was estimated to cost $341,700 but in reality would end up costing much more because they ran into some unexpected problems with drainage and soil erosion due to heavy rainfall.
Construction on the administration building also started at this point which is designed by Brodsky Hopf & Adler firm who has previously done work for Dallas/Fort Worth International Airports terminal design as well as landscaping Gilmore David Clarke Michael Rapuano before deciding how Elder Avenue should be redrawn after taking out a section where it crossed over Corridor Park's location between Main Street and Peck Avenue.
Late 20th Century
The Queens Botanical Garden was intended to be moved from the fair grounds in Flushing Meadows to a location across College Point Boulevard to the east, inside the present Kissena Corridor Park and adjacent to the World's Fair grounds, as part of a $3 million construction for the World's Fair in 1961. "35 acres (14 ha) of bogs and waste ground," according to the description. A new administrative building, estimated to cost $150,000, and a pedestrian bridge over Lawrence Street going to Flushing Meadows were included in the proposal. To create room for additional fair displays, the current garden in Flushing Meadows would be destroyed, and the Van Wyck Expressway would be extended north through the park to the Whitestone Expressway. This location was initially intended to serve as a parking lot for the fair. The project's grading started on March 22, 1961. On September 23, 1961, the Board of Estimate authorised the Botanical Garden and other World's Fair projects. The cost of the landscaping work was projected to be $341,700 at the time. In 1962, work on the administrative building started. Brodsky, Hopf & Adler, who previously built terminals at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, designed the structure. Gilmore David Clarke and Michael Rapuano, who also designed the original 1939 World's Fair grounds and the 1964 plan for the fair, did the landscaping. The portion of Elder Avenue between Main Street and Peck Avenue that ran southwest over the Corridor Park property was de-mapped in order to incorporate the area into the Botanical Gardens.
In 1998, Queens Botanical Garden Society began to make a plan for the garden. The details of the plan were released in 2001. In this plan, much of the garden would become a land that has green plants and other things that grow on it. There would also be water with more plants around it.
This plan was designed by BKSK Architects Conservation Design Forum Atelier Dreiseitl The $70 million cost will be paid for by two governments in New York City (the city) and New York State (the state). They are both willing to pay because they don't have money now due to budget cuts. In 1998, the Queens Botanical Garden Society began to plan a master plan for the garden. The details of this plan were made public in 2001. The project would turn much of the garden into a green space with water around it.
There would also be features that make it possible for rain water to stay there, so less is wasted. The cost of this project was $70 million and was paid for by both city and state governments because they had budget cuts at that time. A fence was put around the garden. It cost $3.9 million. The arboretum is now inside the fence, so people can't see it at night.
The rest of the garden was renovated for $68 million and new things were added like a green roof, solar panels and stormwater collection systems. A visitor's center with an office opened in 2007 and everyone likes it! In the following year, a fence was put around the garden. This cost $3.9 million. The other arboretum, which is at one end of Queens Botanical Garden, was also enclosed by the fence.
They also renovated other parts of the garden and added new things like solar panels and stormwater collection systems for $68 million. When they did that, they opened up a visitor centre with a green roof on September 27th 2007.
Programs and Events
Harvest Fest & Pumpkin Patch, Arbor Fest, and Taiwan: A World of Orchids are among the four seasons of public programming at Queens Botanical Garden, which include cultural festivities and seasonal festivals.
Tours of the administrative building were held soon after it opened in the 2000s and 2010s, as well as different children's activities in the autumn and winter. A model-train exhibition was held in the Queens Botanical Garden in 2014 and 2015 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1964 World's Fair. Educational seminars and tours at Queens Botanical Garden provide education to children, adults, and instructors via gardens.
Wedding ceremonies, parties, and other private and business events are also held at the Garden. A Victorian-style Wedding Garden has been created especially for weddings in the Queens Botanical Garden. The wedding garden and school facility, however, need registration.